- This event has passed.
Upcycled DIY Lighting Workshop
April 1 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pm PDT
SD Fixit Clinic is partnering with Maria, founder of Reclaimed Goodness, to host a DIY Lighting Upcycling Workshop.
SD Fix-It Clinic is partnering with Maria from Reclaimed Goodness to host an Upcycling Workshop.
Maria, founder of “Reclaimed Goodness”, spent the better part of a decade of her career in fashion merchandising and styling. During this time, she found herself taking home lots of perfectly good materials she felt were under utilized in the retail industry. She realized that she had a vision for this “trash” and so Reclaimed Goodness was born.
Upcycling is an excellent way to reduce waste and help the environment. Instead of throwing away old items that are no longer seemingly useful, you can repurpose them into something new and useful. This process can also be a fun and creative activity that anyone. During this class you will learn tricks and tips on looking outside the box when upcycling different items. Whether you want to turn a glass jar into a decoration or a vintage globe into a desk lamp, upcycling can help you create something new from something old. Doing this can help reduce the amount of waste that goes into landfills and benefit the environment in the process.
What you will learn by attending this workshop
- How to assess usability of items and determine whether or not upcycling is the best use to prolong the life of the item.
- Where to get the proper supplies needed for the project.
- How to execute the project safely.
- How to prepare items to upcycle.
- Provide ideas and resources to local platforms and upcyclers to divert household items out of our landfills.
- All participants must be 18 years or older or be accompanied by an adult and sign a liability waiver.
- Able / willing to learn how to use basic hand tools
- You must be able to transport and handle your creation without requiring additional assistance.
- All personal items brought to upcycle must first be approved by the workshop facilitator to assess usability.
Is this event free?
This event is sponsored by the City of Carlsbad Sustainable Material Department. This event is free to the public. All attendees will go home with a working light fixture at the end of the workshop.
Do I need to bring supplies?
All tools and supplies will be provided for you at the workshop.
Can I bring something to upcycle from home?
If you have an item that inspires you to upcycle feel free to bring it with you and Maria will provide some guidance for you to DIY it. If you can carry it and think it has a second life still in it, bring it. Maria will brainstorm with you and talk you through what you will need to make it happen.