Fix your items for free! There is a better way than throw-away. Join the San Diego Fixit Clinic at the Chula Vista Norman Park Senior Center on December 16th from… Read More »San Diego Fixit Clinic in Chula Vista
LIVE SIMPLY & SUSTAINABLY
WITH ZERO WASTE
Empowering San Diego County On Sustainable Resource Management Through Education, Awareness, & Action
Zero Waste San Diego promotes and manages zero waste programs and events, advocates for policy changes that promote a zero waste society, and educates people on how they can reduce the effects of climate change through sustainable resource management.
ASK THE UN TO ADOPT THE INTERNATIONAL DEFINITION OF ZERO WASTE.
THE 8 R’S OF ZERO WASTE
Everything is a resource, and “just throwing it away” won’t help communities like San Diego continue to move toward the goal of zero waste. We have to start by changing our thinking.
Luckily for all of us, there are 8 opportunities for every individual and business to start reducing material going into the landfill or an incinerator and helping to create a sustainable society.
HOW ZERO WASTE BENEFITS YOU, THE COMMUNITY & THE PLANET
Zero waste is a journey that starts with changing your mindset around using and managing the Earth’s resources.
When we change how we think, we can change how we behave and respond to consumer behavior.
We can ask ourselves, how does our interaction with resources and subsequent discards benefit you, the community, and the planet
• Challenging the issue of food waste by buying less and donating excess food to those who need it helps divert organics from landfills.
• Reducing what you buy and consume reduces the amount you discard as well as your overall footprint on the environment.
• Understanding what pollutants and toxic chemicals your products are made with can shift your consumption to safer products, reducing local and global pollution.
• Redistributing goods to those who need them contributes to a circular economy that encourages less waste and increases social benefits.
• Refusing non-essential stuff can make a huge impact on the planet, since you won’t have to worry about disposing or recycling it later. Just say no!
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED WITH US
Not sure where to start? We’re here to help guide you in the right direction, no matter where you are in your zero waste journey.
Check out how to get involved with Zero Waste San Diego below!
PARTNERS AND SPONSORS
We are proud of our connections and collaborations with the following businesses and organizations:
Zero Waste Symposium Sponsors
Are you interested in becoming a sponsor or affiliate partner? Get in touch here.
TALKING TRASH |ON THE BLOG
Read the latest on zero waste solutions, green legislation, environmental education, and more!
One of the easiest ways to reduce our impact on the environment is to make the choice to refuse or opt-out of buying products that
Redesign means to make revision in the appearance or function of. Whenever possible, lobby for redesign when a product cannot be recycled, composted, or repurposed.
It is our duty to get involved in and vote for regulation that makes producers and manufacturers responsible for the end of life of their
SIGN UP FOR THE ZERO WASTE SAN DIEGO NEWSLETTER
Want to receive the latest news on event updates, community news, and all things resource management?